snappy source foo

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Fri Oct 30 10:58:04 UTC 2015

One thing I'm really missing in the apt-to-snappy transition is easy
access to source code.

ie, the equivalent of 'apt-get source foo'.

I understand that not all snaps will provide source code, but today,
many of them are in fact open source.

Could the snappy development team please consider adding a field to
the meta/package.yaml which specifies where (git, bzr, elsewhere) the
upstream source code of the snap itself is hosted, and loop in a
command 'snappy source foo' that does the right thing, using the right
tool, to fetch the source, when possible?

Thanks!

Dustin Kirkland
Canonical, Ltd.