Booting Snappy in read-only or installer mode

Paul Larson paul.larson at canonical.com
Wed Oct 21 14:39:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Darren Landoll <darren.landoll at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there currently a way to boot a Snappy image in some sort of
> "read-only" mode where it only runs from a ramdisk (or something
> similar to that)? I'm looking at a scenario where I boot an x86 based
> PC using a USB stick to run an installer that installs a Snappy image
> to the HDD.

There's no installer for snappy, you just dd it to your drive. That being
said, I have several systems that are doing something very similar right
now. They boot ubuntu from a usb stick, generate a snappy image (or use a
pre-built one) and then dd it to the hard drive. Of course, you don't need
to use a full ubuntu image either though. You could create a small initrd
for it to boot instead, or even just netboot it to a stripped down image
and do the same thing.