Upcoming changes in the REST API

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Wed Nov 11 17:52:40 UTC 2015

Hello once more,

As part of that ramp up to 16.04, we're also starting some discussions to
see how the REST API needs to change to adapt to the reality we want to be
in place by 16.04, and we're also taking that chance to polish a few minor
bits that would be good to nail down before that API becomes too popular to
change. A couple of hours ago I had a call with John where we agreed to
move forward with some of these ideas, and while we expect much of the API
to remain unchanged, and will also try to preserve compatibility where we
can, it's unfortunately possible that some of these changes may cause a bit
of headache.

I have improperly abused a review of the REST API documentation that was
about to land to start the conversation, so please don't consider the
actual review as meaningful for the particular change that is landing in
that pull request. Nevertheless, this should give an idea about some of the
upcoming changes:

  https://github.com/ubuntu-core/snappy/pull/64/files

If some of these changes are meaningful to working code you have, we'd be
happy to hear how you feel about them.

Please note that this list is not yet exhaustive. We know we'll need to do
further changes, for example with regards to the snap sequence concept
described in the email earlier today.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net