Ubuntu Online Summit: Session Roundup

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at canonical.com
Fri Nov 6 15:20:05 UTC 2015

Hello everybody,

with so many sessions happening at Ubuntu Online Summit (more than 70
this time around and quite a big turnout), I thought I'd write a quick
summary of what happened in Snappy Ubuntu Core land. Be sure to check
out the full schedule at http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1511/ to find out
about all the other cool things which happened.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1511/meeting/22623/testing-snappy/
Testing Snappy: In this Show & Tell session Leo Arias showcased a lot of
the QA work which has been done on Ubuntu Core along with many useful
techniques to run tests and easily bring up Snappy in a number of
different scenario.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1511/meeting/22596/core-1511-new-snappy-frameworks/
Creating more Snappy frameworks: Frameworks are an effective way to
bring functionality to Ubuntu Core which can then be shared by apps. The
session attracted quite a few users of Snappy who wanted to know if
their use-case could be addressed by a framework. We discussed some more
technical difficulties, possible solutions and learned that bluetooth
and connectivity (based on network-manager) frameworks are in the works.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1511/meeting/22594/snappy-clinic-bringing-ros-apps-to-snappy-ubuntu-core/
Snappy Clinic: bringing ROS apps to Snappy Ubuntu Core: Ted Gould showed
off the great work which has been put into the catkin plugin of
Snapcraft. Taking a simple ROS app and bringing it to Ubuntu Core is
very easy. The interest from members of the ROS community was great to
see and their feedback will help us improve the support even further.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1511/meeting/22639/snap-packages-for-phone-and-desktop-apps/
Snap packages for phone and desktop apps: Alejandro Cura and Kyle
Fazzari brought up their analysis of snappy on the phone/desktop and
discussed a plan on what would need to land to make snappy apps on the
Ubuntu desktop and phone a reality.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1511/meeting/22593/core-1511-snappy-onboarding-feedback/
Your feedback counts: the Snappy onboarding experience: This session
brought together a number of different users of Snappy who shared their
experience and what they would like to do. The feedback was great and
will be factored into our upcoming documentation plans.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1511/meeting/22592/core-1511-snappy-developer-community-resources/
Snappy Developer Community Resources: In this session Thibaut Rouffineau
and I had a chat about our online support options and community
resources. We gathered a number of ideas and will look into creating
workshop and presentation materials this cycle as well.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1511/meeting/22591/core-1511-porting-raspberry-pi-apps-to-snappy/
Porting popular apps/software to Snappy: Many interesting apps and
appliances exist for a variety of boards, most notably the Raspberry Pi.
We put together a plan on how we could start a community initiative for
bringing them over to Snappy Ubuntu Core.

Thanks to everyone who participated and helped to make this such a great
UOS!

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--