Files OS Snap provides

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 5 14:15:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 13:13 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> On 05/11/15 12:17, John Lenton wrote:
> > On 5 November 2015 at 10:57, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com>
> > wrote:
> > > The other point you may not be aware of is that no snap will ever
> > > show
> > > up for a series without the developer expressly saying so. In
> > > that
> > > sense, we can be totally explicit about expectations; if you
> > > publish for
> > > 16.04, you will know exactly what you are publishing onto, and
> > > exactly
> > > what is there, and that we have promised to maintain it well.
> > >
> > > This is quite different to the current world, where stuff goes in
> > > the
> > > archive and can be grandfathered into future releases just
> > > because
> > > nobody bothered to look at it again.
> > I like this very much. However, I was under the impression you had
> > said that packages needed to continue to work across release
> > upgrades,
> > and this seems to fly in the face of that. Am I misunderstanding,
> > was
> > that misreported, or has the thinking evolved?
>
> That was misreported.
Oh, I was under the same impression as John here. I thought we had to
make application snaps that would work across releases of Snappy Ubuntu
Core. That changes a lot of assumptions.
What I think that we need then is an explicit key in the snapcraft.yaml
for setting the release that the build is targeting. This way we can
match the package list of that release. I think that this could be an
item in the frameworks list, but I think it's more important than that
and should get its own key. Proposing:
ubuntu: 16.04
Ted