Files OS Snap provides

John Lenton john.lenton at canonical.com
Thu Nov 5 11:17:05 UTC 2015

On 5 November 2015 at 10:57, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 05/11/15 11:52, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>> devel is where stuff can change, stable is where it doesn't.
>
> The other point you may not be aware of is that no snap will ever show
> up for a series without the developer expressly saying so. In that
> sense, we can be totally explicit about expectations; if you publish for
> 16.04, you will know exactly what you are publishing onto, and exactly
> what is there, and that we have promised to maintain it well.
>
> This is quite different to the current world, where stuff goes in the
> archive and can be grandfathered into future releases just because
> nobody bothered to look at it again.

I like this very much. However, I was under the impression you had
said that packages needed to continue to work across release upgrades,
and this seems to fly in the face of that. Am I misunderstanding, was
that misreported, or has the thinking evolved?

Either way, this is worth documenting somewhere snap developers can find it.