Files OS Snap provides

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 5 07:49:42 UTC 2015

On 04/11/15 15:15, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 22:08 +0000, John Lenton wrote:
>> On 3 November 2015 at 21:47, Ted Gould <ted at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> Anything else to add or remove? You can comment here or on the pull
>>> request:
>> shouldn't openssl be on that list? I seem to remember conversations
>> about that on IRC way back when.
> None that I'm aware of, but that's why I wrote this mail ;-)
>> I don't think we need bash and dash; drop bash.
>>
> I was thinking that perhaps that we should expose bash as for most
> people it is more standard. I realize that there is POSIX here, but I'm
> not sure everyone doesn't just know the bash-isms.
>> Also probably should be in the list: grep, sed, coreutils. Possibly awk.
>>
> That seems big to me. Do you have a reason for those? It seems like
> they're small enough that including them wouldn't be bad.

Stop. Just stop.

This bikeshedding is precisely what you do not have a mandate to do, and
for very good reason.

Dustin Kirkland defines Ubuntu Server, and there is a very very narrow
window of hardware-or-infrastructure-related delta allowed from there to
any particular rendition of that product.

For example, on a public cloud, there might be an extra package or two
to handle cloud-specific metadata services or drivers.

In LXD, we don't need a kernel at all (this is also the case for the
Ubuntu Core os-snap).

The reason is straightforward - while you might have lots of interesting
ideas in your head as to why we don't need bash in the Ubuntu Core
image, we then have to explain all of those interesting ideas to EVERY
user of Ubuntu Core. They expect it to be Ubuntu, just like their
previous experiences of Ubuntu on the cloud or on a server, which
include bash. NO MATTER HOW CLEVER your rationale for leaving out bash,
it REALLY doesn't justify having to explain that delta to a billion people.

So, stop. There are more productive things to do with our time for 16.04
LTS. ONLY Dustin or I will ack deltas from Ubuntu Server as proposed to
us by Olli.

Mark