Files OS Snap provides

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 4 14:04:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-11-04 at 07:29 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> On 03/11/15 22:47, Ted Gould wrote:
> > It seems that list is longer than what we actually want to promise
> > to S
> > nap developers that they can access. But, as far as I can tell, we
> > don't have a definitive list of what we're promising to be provided
> > by
> > the OS Snap.
> We do, it's called "Ubuntu Server" ;)
>
> The Ubuntu Core OS snap should include, with very few deltas each of
> which should be documented and explained, the same set of things as a
> vanilla Ubuntu Server image on AWS or GCE, or on your server if you
> just
> install Ubuntu Server with no extra packages.
I think that makes sense for what is in the OS snap itself, but it
isn't necessarily the list of what we want to promise to application
developers. I think they should be two different lists.
The example today is with libstdc++, where if you build a snap using
Snapcraft on Wily it won't run on the 15.04 series of Snappy Ubuntu
Core. While it makes sense that the core would include this for various
services that need it, I don't think we want to make it part of the
exposed interface to applications.
Ted