Files OS Snap provides

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 3 21:47:44 UTC 2015

First, a short history. Snapcraft's debian package install feature was
born somewhat out of deb2snap. In there it grabs all of the packages
and dependencies, and then it excludes all that packages that are
already included in Ubuntu Core. The list of packages in Ubuntu core is
listed at image build time:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/daily-preinstalled/current/xenial
-preinstalled-core-amd64.manifest

Then in Snapcraft that is cleaned up a bit and included here:

https://github.com/ubuntu-core/snapcraft/blob/master/snapcraft/manifest
.txt

It seems that list is longer than what we actually want to promise to S
nap developers that they can access. But, as far as I can tell, we
don't have a definitive list of what we're promising to be provided by
the OS Snap.

I'm proposing making the list this, but would like further input on the
list. Note that some things are there just to avoid having snaps
include them, like the manpages, because of a dep in a package.

base-files
base-passwd
bash
bsdutils
dash
init
initscripts
libacl1
libapparmor1
libc6
libselinux1
manpages
manpages-dev
multiarch-support
systemd
systemd-sysv
sysv-rc
sysvinit-utils
tzdata
ubuntu-keyring
util-linux

Anything else to add or remove? You can comment here or on the pull
request:

https://github.com/ubuntu-core/snapcraft/pull/74

Ted