Project SnapChirp, a Phone x Snappy success story

Penk Chen penk.chen at canonical.com
Mon Nov 2 16:52:31 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've developed an acoustic ranging framework for smart devices using Ubuntu Phone and Snappy Core, and won a top prize in the recent TechCrunch Beijing hackathon event.

Here's the demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXdkEA2enf4
Slides:
https://speakerdeck.com/penk/snapchirp-dot-io-the-tape-measure-of-smart-devices

I named it SnapChirp because it measures distance using DTOA (Differential Times of Arrival) in high frequency chirps, the pitch detector is implemented in Qt/QML on phones and the pairing server is a simple chatroom-like Node.js/WebSocket snap.

Next item on my TODO list would be having a sound localizer implemented. After cleaning up (because, you know, hackathon) I'm planning to open source this framework and would like to hear feedbacks from the list. Any thoughts?

Best,
penk