Virtual machine in snap (was: linerate-snap)

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Fri May 8 01:38:54 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I've been exchanging with a number of folks on running virtual machines in
a snap and pointed them to what was an obsolete snap source package which
wouldn't work with 15.04.

I've now updated this snap's source (and fixed a typo in the URL!
s/lineate/linerate/) and you may find the latest bits at:
https://code.launchpad.net/~lool/+junk/linerate-snap

This is quite generic and would be applicable to other vm images. The
featured changes are:
- works with 15.04
- most things are configurable (but not via yaml yet; see README for
samples)
- creates/tears down bridge interface on startup/shutdown; no dependency on
switch-all snap

I've successfully tested this by running a snappy vm on a snappy 15.04
amd64 install; it works across systemctl stop/start and starts correctly
upon reboot.

The thing I expect folks to run into is that /apps/ is read-only; so you
would want to change the qemu command-line to do some kind of overlay, or
copy the vm image to /var/lib/apps ($SNAP_APP_DATA_PATH) before running.

Let me know if you run into issues!

Cheers,
--
Loïc