Top-level package names, UX questions

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Mon Mar 16 22:15:08 UTC 2015

On 03/16/2015 02:57 PM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> On 16/03/15 11:49, Martin Albisetti wrote:
>> Indeed they do get easier. I think, though, it comes at the expense of
>> being heavy-handed with how the ecosystem grows. There's a lot of
>> first-come-first-serve for popular names, and makes it more common for
>> renaming to have to happen down the like as competing apache's improve.
>
> I think this is OK.
>
> Developers can claim whatever name they want, first come first served.
>
> To INSTALL that package, I would need to say "I want that developers
> package called <name>".
>
> No unofficial, developer package could be installed accidentally,
> because the only way to install one of those would be to name the
> developer explicitly, like:
>
>  snappy install foo --by beuno
>
> The question is:
>
>  * do I now have to refer to commands in that package as
> foo.beuno.command, or
>  * can I just say foo.command (I prefer this)
>
> but that means that
>
>  * if there is an "official" foo, I must choose between beuno's foo and
> that one
>  * because foo.command :)
>
> I think the latter choice is reasonable to have to make.

Looking at the 'foo.command' bit on its own...

Not sure if you meant this all along, but I wonder if it makes sense to say
after installing a developer package (eg, beuno's foo package) that:

 * you can always refer to the command as foo.beuno.command
 * you may also refer to the command as foo.command
 * if you install another developer's foo package, you have a choice of updating
   what foo.command does

That way you can always you foo.beuno.command in your scripts if you want, but
you still can use the shortened version.