Preview: snappy-go

Michael Vogt mvo at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 5 13:26:05 UTC 2015

Hello Snappy Enthusiasts,

we are happy to show you a preview of the work on making snappy faster
and slicker. The latest alpha image contains "snappy-go" which is a
improve version of the existing snappy command and will eventually
replace it. I would also encourage to try the very latest snapshot
images [1], snappy-go gets better every day!

Below is a quick overview of what it can do and what the (small)
differences to the current version are.

We hope you are as excited about this as we are!

Cheers,
 The snappy development team

[1] Use "sudo ubuntu-device-flash core --channel ubuntu-core/devel-proposed
--output snappy-latest.img" go get it!

Snappy-go sneak preview
========================

The latest image comes with the preview of the new snappy command line expereince. Its slicker and faster, especially on slower
hardware like arm.

For example, the command

$ snappy-go info
release: ubuntu-core/devel-proposed
architecture: amd64
frameworks:
apps:

takes just 0.4s on the beagle bone black which is massively faster than before.

There is a new "list" command that provides information about the current installed parts:

$ snappy-go list
Name        Date       Version Summary
ubuntu-core 2015-02-13 283     ubuntu-core description

The updates can be displayed via:

$ snappy-go list --updates
Name         Date       Version
ubuntu-core* 2015-02-13 292

And to see everything that is installed (including older versions), run:

$ snappy-go list --verbose
Name         Date       Version Summary
ubuntu-core* 2015-02-13 283     ubuntu-core description
ubuntu-core  2015-02-18 292     ubuntu-core description
Reboot to use the new ubuntu-core.

To see whats available, run:

$ snappy-go search pastebin
Name           Version   Summary
pastebinit.mvo 1.4.0.0.1 pastebinit

To install use:

$ sudo snappy-go install pastebinit.mvo
Installing pastebinit.mvo
Starting download of pastebinit.mvo
49226 / 49226 [============================================] 100.00 % 353819/s 0
Done
Name           Date       Version   Summary
ubuntu-core    2015-02-13 283       ubuntu-core description
pastebinit.mvo 2015-02-19 1.4.0.0.1

To update everything:
$ snappy update
Installing ubuntu-core (292)