RFC: Comfortable Snappy (aka Comfy ;-)

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Mon Jun 22 14:16:26 UTC 2015

On 06/22/2015 05:23 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 22.06.2015, 17:59 +0800 schrieb YC Cheng:
>> Hi, I feel uncomfortable with sentences like
>>

>> "Development isn’t done on the system anymore, instead the Snappy
>> system is a target system and you develop from your Ubuntu Desktop
>> host system"
>>

>> I guess you are not rule out the possibility to do development on the
>> target. You just propose it might make more sense to do that on Host
>> system, right ?
>>

>> From what we think about Phone Desktop system, we feel the phone is
>> getting more and more powerful, so that it make sense to use Phone as
>> Desktop system. If that's the case, I think it also make sense to do
>> development on the Phone / target.
>>
> dpkg and apt are currently disabled and will soon be completely gone
> from the core image (as will python and probably even bash at some
> point), you can indeed remount / to work on files in core in case you do
> any kind of implementation on that level...

As one who works on Ubuntu Core itself, apt isn't hugely interesting to me
(though I think that silo testing procedures on the phone and therefore future
Ubuntu Personal will have to be adjusted) but dpkg is. I'm curious what the
workflow will be like on a dpkg-less system...  all I'm personally using dpkg
for is as a means to extract the files to the system so there is no real need
for a full dpkg, but wondering if this piece has been worked out.