RFC: Snappy shell

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 19 12:59:52 UTC 2015

hi,

Am Freitag, den 19.06.2015, 09:37 -0300 schrieb Sergio Schvezov:

> Out of curiosity, what are these traditional tools doing? There isn't
> much you can do without frameworks installed.
dunno, likely just running shell commands ... (i.e. imagine some cloud
management tool that hardcodes: "ssh $IP reboot" to restart its cloud
instances or some such ...)

i just dont want us to scare away existing admins from adopting snappy
but instead offer them a way to integrate with their existing
infrastructure ... it doesnt have to be the default but also should
require them to jump through hoops to make it work the way they want.

> I don't think we even want to expose systemd as part of the product, we
> just have a services entry in the snaps and they have their in package
> health checks that can be checked with a snappy primitive.
>
> > it is ok to have a snappy shell on port 22 for the general use-case but
> > we should have a switch for people deploying images to turn this off and
> > be able to use snappy in an old fashioned context of "just having ssh"
> > so these installs can still be operated in such environments.
>
> snappy config (or gadget snap) would solve that.

snappy config would have to be run after the build via snappy shell
then ... i would propose some way to directly have it set at image
creation or deployment time ...

ciao
	oli