Snappy image size

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Thu Jun 11 01:29:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:21:48PM -0300, Sergio Schvezov wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 09:35:40PM -0300, Sergio Schvezov wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 04:40:34PM -0700, Manik Taneja wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Just wondering as to why is there such a big difference between the images
> > > for amd64 vs armhf platforms-

> > > [image: Inline image 1]
> > > source <http://releases.ubuntu.com/vivid/>

> > > Also, what's the difference between the 2 images for the same platform?

> > amd64/grub uses gpt and 5 partitions while the armhf/uboot variant is
> > regular dos partitions and the number is 4.

> I just noticed you pasted an image which I failed to see from my MUA
> (mutt). If it's just due to size, it's because of what asac mentions.

The issue he was asking about is that there are two images shown each for
amd64 and armhf.  There is no difference between the two except for the
filename; one is 'armhf+bbb', the other is 'armhf-bbb', and one is a symlink
to the other on the server.  The reason we have both names is that we had
pushed one of these names as the URL to publish on the website, then
realized that the name we'd pushed was inconsistent with the overall naming
scheme on releases.ubuntu.com.

We at some point can drop the compatibility symlink, but only once the links
are updated on the ubuntu.com website.