Documentation on the images structure/how to debug invalid builds?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 9 21:50:54 UTC 2015

Hey Steve,

Le 09/06/2015 22:38, Steve Langasek a écrit :

> This change only adds support for feeding an image part from a local file;
> it still expects the image part in question to be in the format
provided by
> the system-image server.  This is not the same format as the output of a
> Launchpad livefs build - those images must be post-processed to match the
> format used by system-image.  (In theory launchpad could generate them in
> the same format; no one has bothered to implement this because
> post-processing would still be required in order to change the compression
> format and generate deltas.)
Do you have any details on those format/what processing is needed?

> I saw mention on IRC today of setting up auto-importing these images
onto a
> system-image channel.  Is there a reason this isn't the answer you're
> looking for in this case?  I can see that ideally it should be easier to
> substitute a locally-generated rootfs for testing, but for the case of the
> desktop image, it seems to me that we should be getting this set up
> officially ASAP.

Having those images into a system-image channel would be nice indeed. I
was looking at doing local builds because it seemed easier to iterate
that way.

I'm also unsure where/how to request the system-image server change and
I didn't want to just be blocked until somebody picks up the server side
work...

Is that discussion enough to get the system-image channel item on
somebody's list? ;-)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher