DKMS and kernel modules

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo ricardo.salveti at canonical.com
Wed Jul 29 20:24:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Doug Burks <doug.burks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm really interested in using Snappy, but I read the following at
> https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/start/:
>
> "Note: Ubuntu core does not support DKMS modules at this time."
>
> Are there plans for Snappy to support DKMS or some other provision for
> kernel modules?

With Snappy we're pushing the model that allows developers and
products to have their own kernel in the store, if extra modules are
required, which is why we don't have a proper story for DKMS.

DKMS conflicts directly with our transactional update and security
stories, since you could end up with a broken system right after an
update (in case the module is incompatible with a newer kernel).
Nothing says that we're not going to any similar mechanism later on,
but for now we're focused on self-contained kernel snaps.

Cheers,
--
Ricardo Salveti de Araujo