Assigning hardware in an image

Michał Sawicz michal.sawicz at canonical.com
Wed Jul 8 12:19:16 UTC 2015

Hey snappy!

For the past few weeks I've been working, on and off, on
porting/packaging the Open Energy Monitor software [1] on my shiny
Orange Matchbox. The idea is to create a snappy-based image to replace
their raspbian-based solution for easy maintenance and everything else
snappy is great for.

All in all packaging seems to have been the easy bit [2] - I fought
quite a bit with freeing up the /dev/ttyAMA0 serial port for the RFM96Pi
[3] to communicate over 433MHz. I will describe everything in detail
soon in a series of posts to G+, I think, but I digress.

Having freed the serial port, I need to hw-assign it to the service that
expects to read from it. While that's fine in developer mode, I thought
it must be possible to predefine hw assignments in a gadget or oem snap
so that the shipped image Just Works™ for the purpose it's built for. I
couldn't find a way to do so anywhere in the documentation. Ogra
mentioned this could be done in the app snap, but it wouldn't be
accepted in the Ubuntu store (and for good reasons - not to mention
other hw could use a different serial port, so the app snap should have
a config option for it).

What's the plan for this use case? I thought oem/gadget snaps are
supposed to rule them all, find them all, bring them all and in the
darkness – unless you use a white-on-black terminal – bind them (in an
image)?

[1] https://github.com/openenergymonitor/
[2] https://uappexplorer.com/app/emonhub-pi.saviq
[3] http://wiki.openenergymonitor.org/index.php?title=RFM69Pi_V3