LD_PRELOAD work in progress

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Wed Feb 25 17:50:40 UTC 2015

On 02/25/2015 10:22 AM, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> On 02/25/2015 09:51 AM, Stéphane Graber wrote:
>> And then we've mentioned using user namespaces down the line to add an
>> extra layer of security for applications which need to think they're
>> root or need to own some privileged resources but do not require real
>> root. To support that, we'd have to backport a few hundred patches from
>> the 3.13 kernel.
>>
> This has been mentioned but we've decided to not pursue this at this time.

To be clear-- I'm talking about launching regular snappy apps here. There will
be plenty of container technologies that I expect will work fantastic on snappy
(eg, LXD, docker, libvirt, systemd, etc, etc) for people who need/want them. I
see no reason why we couldn't at some point deliver docker-style 'app
containers' as snaps that would hook into one of these container technologies.