Snappifying a big toplevel program

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 22 09:58:44 UTC 2015

hi,
Am Freitag, den 20.02.2015, 15:21 -0500 schrieb Michael Terry:
> So I was thinking about the problem of snappifying a complex top-level
> native program like unity8 (all the way down to Ubuntu Core, as one
> giant snappy package).

your biggest blocker will currently be that you will need to hack
hardware access into apparmor rules to get graphical bits to work at
all ... (and these hacks will prevent you from landing it in the store
so you will only be able to sideload your snap)

the hardware access support in snaps is just being implemented and
should be there soon though ...

also as mark mentioned, you will want to split up that work into
framework and app layer (i would see shell, lightdm and indicators as
the app layer here, everything below (Mir, Qt and platform-api) as
framework)

while you can indeed do what you want and dump the whole stuff in a
single unconfined snap, i doubt that would be maintainable and not much
more than a finger training for a proper set-up later, not sure if you
consider the amount of throw-away work this would cause worth the
hassle ...

ciao
	oli