BBB+snappy: customizing dtb/hardware

Winston Smith smith.winston.101 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:46:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 6:16 AM, Alexander Sack <asac at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Paolo Pisati
> <paolo.pisati at canonical.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 12:08:48PM -0500, Winston Smith wrote:
> >>    1) What are the steps for customizing the hardware (e.g. 4 UARTS + a
> >>    couple of GPIO pins), note I already have a working dtbo overlay for
> the
> >>    hardware config, I just need to figure out how to apply it.
> >
> > rcnelson kernel tree for snappy is available here:
> >

> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ppisati/ubuntu-vivid.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/snappy_beagle_3.8
> >
> > to get a working kernel, apply the kconfig fragments and compile as
> usual:
> >
> > $ ARCH=arm ./scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh
> arch/arm/configs/YOURCONFIG_defconfig arch/arm/configs/snappy/*.config
> >
> > In case you built your own board (IOW you hardware won't change again in
> the
> > future), a complete dtb that works with mainline is always the preferred
> > solution.
>
> Paolo you could imagine how to create an example/tutorial how to go
> about creating your custom dtb for OUR kernel for a simple case like
> this? Think that would help a lot!

I'm hoping to get out of the business of custom image/kernel builds!  So
I'm really hoping to switch to a non-custom kernel (and a more recent
one).  The device tree overlay stuff is pretty nice, but I don't need to
load arbitrary DTBs, as Alex says I just need to create a custom DTB once.

>>    2) Are there any instructions on building a BBB/snappy image from
> scratch
> >>    (I've seen the "porting snappy" blog post, but that relies on a "pre
> >>    built" devices.tar.xz & kernel).
> >
> > something like this?
> >

> https://ograblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/porting-ubuntu-snappy-to-a-yet-unsupported-armhf-board/

Yeah, I have seen that, it was the building an "existing snappy device
tarball" that I was looking for.  Basically, I was looking for a recipe to
cross compile *everything* from scratch rather than having to rely on
prebuilt stuff.

I've spent a fair bit of time building BBB images with Angstrom, Debian and
FreeBSD, but I think the Ubuntu Snappy is the way forward (esp. with
Docker).

Many thanks for the help!

-W