Default Interface Bringup

Manik Taneja manik.taneja at canonical.com
Tue Dec 29 21:16:26 UTC 2015

> On Dec 29, 2015, at 3:31 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 28.12.2015, 16:33 -0800 schrieb Manik Taneja:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I was working on the Thin Canyon NUC and noticed that by default we
>> don't bring up wlan0 interface. Instead, the only interface brought
>> up is eth0. I checked this behavior on the Dragonboard 410c and
>> noticed that we don't bring up the wlan0 interface as well. Is this
>> behavior by design? On both the boards, I was able to bring up the
>> interfaces by using-
>>
>> sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
>>
>> however, the command-
>>
>> sudo ifup wlan0 fails with ifup: Ignoring unkown interface:
>> wlan0=wlan0
>>
>> Can someone please help me understand what's the reason for this?
>> Also, If we have the kernel module for wifi available than why don't
>> we enable the wlan0 interface by default? I think that's a much
>> cleaner interface for someone starting with Snappy.
>
> the problem here is that you need additional authentication data in
> your interfaces file to make wlan0 work out of the box, while you only
> need to enable dhcp for wired interfaces (well, we could just hope for
> the best and leave it without WEP credentials, hoping that the user has
> a fully open WLAN, but i assume such networks are to rare to rely on
> them for a default ...)
I think requiring wifi credentials is ok. But not enabling the interface itself is a challenge. On the 410c by default (or any other consumer device) you get working wifi ports and all the end user has to do is connect to the right ssid. This makes the experience smoother and helps the user move quickly to things that they really want to accomplish. At the end of the day, Wifi enablement is a means to an end, not the end itself. And anything we do to make sure that everything else falls in line for someone to consume the device is all the more helpful!

> we either need a way to tell ubuntu-device-flash to use a config file
> as input for such defaults (some yaml file that gets handed to "snappy
> config ubuntu-core" on first boot) or ask the user to create his own
> gadget snap with the network password inside ... or make the tty
> console work on all devices and properly document what you need to do
> to get your wlan up ...
I am not sure if this is needed. As long as we bring up the interface during boot up and ifconfig makes it available, that should be good enough.

> my next dragonboard image has the tty console on by default given the
> dragonboard doesnt have any other interface but wlan by default, that
> will at least prevent you from having to buy a serial addon board to
> get up and running ...
Sounds good. Please let me know when you have this, I would like to try this out.

> long term we need a solution for these pre-installation defaults (there
> is also the console= commandline option for which we can not really
> choose a sane default (in IoT you will want to use serial, while for
> the same device in a server setup you might want a tty console as
> default output, such settings are totally context dependant ... ))
Agreed!