Porting to a new unsupported board: uboot fails to properly read the partition table

Andrea Bernabei andrea.bernabei at canonical.com
Tue Dec 15 15:47:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Woodrow Shen <woodrow.shen at canonical.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder which board did you win to get ? :) Also, Is your board able to
> boot into Snappy successfully ?
> If yes, I think the partitions of image should be fine to work well.
>
> Before flashing image to SD card, you also can use `fdisk -lu
> /path/to/image` to check all the partitions.
> In my experiences of Snappy porting, I met a problem to break up the
> partitions generated by u-d-f,
> and I diff the hex between BSP image and Snappy. I found that u-d-f
> overwrote wrong the partition table
> due to bigger size of preloader binary, so I made the binary divide into
> two parts. Furthermore, The offsets
> also needed to be described in package.yaml in the OEM snap.
>
> The another interesting thing is that I need to make boot flag of 1st
> partition turn off, and then the board
> can boot to Snappy normally. XD
>
> This is my reflection, hope it can help you :)

Hi Woodrow,
thanks for getting back to me :)

I haven't had the time to write a post about it, though I managed to get
Snappy to boot successfully on my board
just a couple of days after my help request here :)
(for the record: the issue I reported here was due to a very dumb mistake
on my side: I was flashing on sdb1 instead of sdb, so it wasn't
actually overwriting the partition table that was already available on the
SD)

I have to say it has been quite easy, I was expecting porting to a new
board would have been much more difficult :)
I only had to patch and tweak u-boot, basically (and apply the apparmor
patches to the kernel, but that's almost automatic) :)

I should definitely post the modified bits so that others with the same
board can get Snappy, but
time is never enough :) It's on my TODO

PS: the board is a Toradex Iris + Colibr iMX6DL module

Cheers,
Andrea