Porting to a new unsupported board: uboot fails to properly read the partition table

Woodrow Shen woodrow.shen at canonical.com
Tue Dec 15 15:37:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

I wonder which board did you win to get ? :) Also, Is your board able to
boot into Snappy successfully ?
If yes, I think the partitions of image should be fine to work well.

Before flashing image to SD card, you also can use `fdisk -lu
/path/to/image` to check all the partitions.
In my experiences of Snappy porting, I met a problem to break up the
partitions generated by u-d-f,
and I diff the hex between BSP image and Snappy. I found that u-d-f
overwrote wrong the partition table
due to bigger size of preloader binary, so I made the binary divide into
two parts. Furthermore, The offsets
also needed to be described in package.yaml in the OEM snap.

The another interesting thing is that I need to make boot flag of 1st
partition turn off, and then the board
can boot to Snappy normally. XD

This is my reflection, hope it can help you :)

Cheers,

Woodrow

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Andrea Bernabei <
andrea.bernabei at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I recently won a dev board at a conference, and I'm trying to port Snappy
> to it as a spare time pet project (yeah, this is the kind of things I am
> into :D)
>
> I read the porting guide
> https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/guides/porting/
>
> and Ogra's post at
>
> https://ograblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/porting-ubuntu-snappy-to-a-yet-unsupported-armhf-board/
>
> I have already patched the kernel with the required apparmor patches and
> also uboot to add ext4 commands, and I successfully installed them on the
> board.
>
> The problem I have at the moment is that the partition tablet of the image
> created by ubuntu-device-flash (using my custom device tarball as input)
> does not seem to be properly supported by uboot (and even some tools like
> gparted).
>
> Here's what a few tools report when listing the partitions on the *sdcard*
> (I tried both with a 32Gb and a 4Gb sdcard)
> - uboot's "mmc part" reports just 1 partition, type 0c
> - gparted only shows 1 big partition, like uboot, with unknown filesystem
> and lba flag
> - parted shows 4 partitions
> - kpartx shows 4 partitions
>
> Any advice?