Snappy Ubuntu Core and updating on the Raspberry Pi 2

Niklas Wenzel nikwen.developer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 11:21:05 UTC 2015

Hi David,

Has that always been there? If yes, I have to admit that I missed that
line, probably because I didn't read properly after reading about the "very
successful collaboration between the Raspberry Pi Foundation and Canonical"
due to which "Snappy Ubuntu Core is available for the Raspberry Pi 2". [1]

In my opinion that's a bit misleading.

Anyway, when can we expect a system-image server to be set up?

Regards,
Niklas

[1]
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2015/02/02/snappy-ubuntu-core-on-raspberry-pi-2/

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Niklas Wenzel <nikwen.developer at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Loïc,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> Given that the Raspberry Pi 2 is presented as one of the officially
>> supported platforms in the documentation [1], what is currently keeping
>> Canonical from adding the Raspberry Pi 2 builds to their already existing
>> image server?
>>

> Hi Niklas,
>
> Please note that the documentation explicitly mentions that the Raspberry
> Pi 2 is not officially supported by snappy yet:
>
> https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/start/#snappy-raspi2
>

>> I recently went ahead and bought one just to try Snappy Ubuntu Core on it
>> and it's quite frustrating that you have to set up an image server yourself
>> in order to be able to upgrade your installation, which I consider to be
>> part of the basic functionality of any OS, especially on a supported
>> platform.
>>
>> When can we expect the official image server to be launched?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Niklas
>>
>> [1] https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/snappy/
>>

>> Am Di, 28. Apr, 2015 um 10:58 schrieb Loïc Minier <loic.minier at ubuntu.com
>> >:
>>
>> The immediate best short term approach is to run your own system-image
>> server to host RPi2 device tarballs and point your device at that server.
>>
>> System-image installation, configuration and generally operation is
>> described in wiki pages starting at:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ImageBasedUpgrades
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Niklas Wenzel <
>> nikwen.developer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Any update? It's almost been a week again. ;)
>>>

>>> Am Di, 21. Apr, 2015 um 5:49 schrieb Niklas Wenzel <
>>> nikwen.developer at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> Thanks for replying. In that case I'll happily wait for the answer.
>>> You know, one always forgets about the release as soon as it is running
>>> on his own PC already.
>>>
>>> Btw, I've got the wifi issue sorted out by using the config file from
>>> [1] in connection with the method from [2]. As this requires modifying the
>>> read-only parts, this is still no satisfying solution but it works for now.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Niklas
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://www.dafinga.net/2013/01/how-to-setup-raspberry-pi-with-hidden.html