Snappy and Ubuntu Desktop

Michael Terry michael.terry at canonical.com
Tue Apr 21 13:48:10 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 6:49 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> for the use cases robert and dider describe we have the framework
> concept ... snaps can depend on frameworks ....
>
> i.e. in the request above i would define:
>
> - CUPS framework (to be re-used in all desktop snaps)

Robert, you mentioned needing a socket.  Look at
lp:~mir-team/mir/snappy-packaging for an example of setting up apparmor
exceptions for a shared socket (in Mir's case, /run/mir_socket).

You also mentioned a library.  I'd not bother with trying to share that via
the framework.  Just have snaps build libcups into themselves.
Deduplication will solve the space problem.

And for ease-of-bootstrapping, maybe check out deb2snap (
https://github.com/mikix/deb2snap).  I don't want to recommend it as a
turnkey solution.  But it may make it easier to get up and running when
you're starting with software that's already packaged in Ubuntu.  Again,
you can see the branch above for an example of making a framework with it.

> - Mir framework
> - XMir framework (for legacy apps, but not inside the Mir framework so
> low end phones and embedded installscan drop it)

I would argue XMir doesn't need to be a framework-level entity (or at
least, we don't want to make X seem so well supported, preferring to push
people to use a toolkit that supports Mir directly).

I've successfully made snaps that depended on a Mir framework and just
bundled Xorg/XMir into their own snap.

-mt