Python snaps

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Fri Apr 3 18:32:54 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I've been doing some work to see what's involved in deploying Python snaps.  I
> have some interesting results that I've blogged about.
>
> http://www.wefearchange.org/2015/04/creating-python-snaps.html
>
> No doubt there's plenty of room for improvement, but I think it also shows
> that the basic tools are there for some level of support for Python on Ubuntu
> Core.

Hey Barry!  Fantastic to seeing this move forward.

I'm quite interested in getting a snap of a pet python project of mine
into a snap -- ssh-import-id.  The upstream source is at
lp:ssh-import-id, but I maintain a git mirror at
https://github.com/dustinkirkland/ssh-import-id.

So I cloned your branch at https://gitlab.com/warsaw/pysnap.git, and I
created an ini file as in your post:

$ cat ssh-import-id/ssh-import-id.ini
[project]
name: ssh-import-id
origin: git https://github.com/dustinkirkland/ssh-import-id

[pex]
verbose: yes

Then I try to create a snap and here's what I get:

$ ./snap.py ssh-import-id/ssh-import-id.ini
Cloning into 'upstream'...
remote: Counting objects: 780, done.
remote: Total 780 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 780
Receiving objects: 100% (780/780), 327.37 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (559/559), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 19, in <module>
    from setuptools import setup
ImportError: No module named 'setuptools'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./snap.py", line 288, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "./snap.py", line 278, in main
    package = GitPackage(name, url, dirs)
  File "./snap.py", line 205, in __init__
    shell=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/subprocess.py", line 561, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'python3 setup.py bdist_wheel
--universal' returned non-zero exit status 1

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dustin