A noob trying to make an etherpad-lite snap with lots of questions

Alexander Sack asac at canonical.com
Wed Feb 17 16:27:32 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Winael <vinzjobard at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 6:25 PM Winael <vinzjobard at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alexander,
>>
>> Le mar. 16 févr. 2016 17:40, Alexander Sack <asac at canonical.com> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I already made snapcraft recipe for etherpad-lite, just get:
>>> https://github.com/asac/etherpad-lite/tree/snap-support,
>>> cd into the bin/snappy folder and run "snapcraft snap" there...
>>>
>>> The direct link to the snapcraft.yaml is here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/asac/etherpad-lite/blob/snap-support/bin/snappy/snapcraft.yaml
>

> I take a look yesterday. So as I understand, you're making your
> etherpad-lite snapp from a fork of etherpad ?

no its not a fork .. its actually pretty much the upstrema
etherpad-lite... i think there is a total of one minor patch to fix a
bug in their code that prevents you from run it independent location.
the rest is just reusing what they already did... The fact that i put
the snapcraft.yaml inside their tree is just because i plan to get
this into their upstream code base....

I had an out of tree variant that basically did almost the same ...
https://github.com/asac/etherpad-lite-snap

... that one just requires one patch to snapcraft that i didnt land
because in the end i went for the in-tree variant...

> Pretty interesting to study.
>
> But as I understand; we can directly generate and build parts of snapp with
> snapcraft receipe.
>
> I take a look at what my snapcraft.yaml generate, and I see that in my stage
> folder I have part of etherpad-lite built (all the nodejs things)
>
> I tried to integrate into my stage/bin folder all I have in
> parts/etherpad-lite/src/bin but no success.
>
> Do you think that a copy plugin could be useful or something else ?
>
> After that I think I'll have to create a modified version of bin/run.sh and
> bin/installDeps.sh to overload them
>
> What do you think ?

so yes, you would need to do your own script for packaging stuff ...
and your own script for unning as the upstream version is just munging
install and run in one thing so you cannot separate packaging and
ruinning right now in upstream codebase...

But then, thats exactly what i did ... i use npm instlal to do all the
install stuff... and then have my own run script.

 - Alexander