Tracking Ubuntu archive staged packages within a snap

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Thu Feb 11 21:06:37 UTC 2016

Hi!

Snapcraft makes it easy to grab packages from the Ubuntu archive, which
is great! Snapcraft is in a position to record what versions of
packages were installed and from where. This would be super useful
information to have to see if your staged packages are out of date.

There are a number of ways to handle this and Martin Albisetti and I
thought perhaps the easiest would be for snapcraft to create a manifest
of installed packages that the store could consume so the store could
let people know if the packages in the snap are out of date (eg, for a
security update). Inclusion of the manifest would be optional. If a
developer doesn't want to use the manifest, it could be left out of the
snap. I think the minimal information in this manifest would be each
binary, its version and the Ubuntu release the packages from where it
came from.

If people agree with the general idea, then I'll file a bug.

Thanks!

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com