[Was: Re: Creating a SNAP package of OMI]

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Mon Oct 19 17:04:47 UTC 2015

On 10/09/2015 09:43 AM, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> On 10/09/2015 08:11 AM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>> On 09/10/15 03:28, Sharmad_Naik at Dell.com wrote:
>>>                I have been able to close on this issue by defining the security policy appropriately.
>>
>> That's great Sharmad, thanks for the feedback. We'll make a tool to help
>> folks spot the needed security parameters so it feels a little less like
>> being in a box with invisible walls :)
>>
> There is a snappy-debug snap that has a number of debugging tools in it,
> including 'snappy-security' which does just this (see
> '/apps/bin/snappy-security'[1] for details). It is located here:
> http://people.canonical.com/~platform/snappy/snappy-debug_0.1_amd64.snap
>
> AIUI, the goal is to have that available in the store or some other convenient
> fashion and AFAIK the details of that are still being worked out, which is why
> it isn't there yet.

FYI, snappy-debug with the security command is now in the store:

$ sudo snappy install snappy-debug
$ sudo snappy-debug.security
<help text>

The snappy-debug package is intended to include other tools such as gdb, strace,
ltrace and valgrind, but the previous 0.1 packaging on people.canonical.com only
had binaries for amd64 for those. Since the packaging for those tools for other
architectures is not ready yet and because the security tool would be useful on
all devices (eg, arm), we decided to publish 0.2 without these architecture
specific tools. The Snappy Core team will provide these tools in a future update
(https://launchpad.net/snappy/bugs/1507693), at which point snappy-debug will be
formerly announced.

In addition, the project is at lp:~snappy-dev/snappy-hub/snappy-debug. Please
file bugs at https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+filebug.

> [1] there is an older 'snappy-security' on the stable images in /usr/bin, so you
> have to specify the full path to the new one while the transition to
> snappy-debug is in effect. This is part of the details having to be worked out
> that I mentioned.

The transition is complete and now you should use 'snappy-debug.security'
instead of 'snappy-security'.