classic 32 bit application

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 05:02:32 UTC 2017

On 30 March 2017 at 23:38, Seth Arnold <seth.arnold at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 08:10:26AM +0200, Alistair Grant wrote:
>> I'm trying to package a 32 bit software development environment: Pharo
>> Smalltalk (http://pharo.org).
>>
>> I've got it working OK as a devmode package, but as soon as I switch it
>> to classic confinement it fails to run.
>
> I was under the impression the usual progression is from devmode to
> strict. Are you certain classic is the correct direction for your snap?

I think so.  Since this is being used by developers, I've got no way of
knowing which executables they'll want to call, which libraries will be
loaded, etc.  This also seems to fit in with
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2017/01/09/how-to-snap-introducing-classic-confinement/
which says that classic confinement is typically used "for all your
scripting and tooling needs".

If you were packaging python or java for use by developers on their
desktop, would you use strict or classic?

Thanks,
Alistair