Moving from strict to classic confinement

Renato Filho renato.filho at canonical.com
Mon Mar 27 13:31:40 UTC 2017

> Hello everybody.
>
> I currently have a snap package published on the store. It is called
> wallpaperdownloader and it is a Java-based application. So far, it has been
> packaged using the strict confinement. The application basically downloads
> wallpapers from the Internet and sets the wallpaper when the user requests
> it. Because there are a lot of desktop environments, I have ended up using
> a lot of Linux commands from the java application in order to achieve these
> goals. For some DE there is no problem at all: for example, using gsettings
> interface, GNOME Shell and Unity change the background flawlessly. MATE is
> working properly too (I had to include mate-desktop-common as stage
> package) but XFCE and KDE... no way. In addition, some of the most simple
> features (open a file explorer for example) don't work.

I am not sure what exactly the problem that you have to change KDE
wallpapers but it can be related with the fact that you are using
"desktop-gtk3", because this only prepare the environment for gtk
apps. Some environment vars will be missing for Qt apps.

The options that you have are:

1 - create a wrapper file and export the vars by yourself.
2 - Use "ubuntu-app-platform"  that contains libraries and a launcher
compatible with most gtk and qt apps.

I hope this help