Reserved project names and cooperative transfer of ownership

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sat Mar 25 10:53:43 UTC 2017

... yes, more questions :-)

First, how problematic is it to organize a cooperative transfer of ownership of
a reserved name between one snap publisher and another?  I'm thinking of a case
where a package might start as a 3rd-party project (read: yours truly) and then
be made official later.

I know the recommended practice is to define a different name, like
`appname-whatever`, but I'm wondering what the options and difficulties might be
if that wasn't wanted.

Second, we discussed a while back about the possibility of reserving names for
multiple apps provided by a single snap, so that instead of `snapname.appname`
being the exposed command, it could just be `appname`.  Even if that's not
technically possible right now, is it possible to reserve those names ahead of
time in anticipation of that change ... ?

Thanks & best wishes,

     -- Joe