snapcraft in docker container fails

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:02:05 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I've been building snap packages within a docker container successfully.
Up to now all the containers have been built with devmode, but I would
now like to build one with classic confinement (for a development
application).

Building the package fails because the core snap isn't installed,
attempting to install the core package results in:

root at 2bd7fd92945f:/# snap install core
2017/03/22 08:36:31.602176 main.go:220: WARNING: cannot create syslog logger
2017/03/22 08:36:31.604709 api.go:890: Installing snap "core" revision unset
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Mount snap "core" (1441) ([daemon-reload] failed with exit status 1:
Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
)

I understand that I'm trying to push docker past its intended usage
(syslog, dbus, etc), but does anyone have a workaround for this?

Thanks very much,
Alistair