Status of snapd on Arch Linux

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Mar 17 23:32:38 UTC 2017

Hello folks,

Is there anyone here working on snapd on Arch?

I ask because I recently tried it out on a fresh Arch install and ran into some
issues.

Installing snaps works fine in itself, and snap list is able to find the
installed snaps.  However, these issues arose as soon as I started trying to use
them:

   * snap --version lists 'unknown' for snap, snapd and arch

   * all snap-related stuff is placed in /var/lib/snapd/snap instead of /snap
     (fine in itself), but the PATH still contains /snap/bin rather than
     /var/lib/snapd/snap/bin.

       - according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snapd#Installing,
         installing a snap should cause it to be mounted to /snap/snapname
         but this doesn't appear to be happening

   * installing my ldc2 snap (`snap install --classic --candidate ldc2`) worked
     fine (it shows up in `snap list` as expected) but if I try to run
     /var/lib/snapd/snap/bin/ldc2 directly I get an error message:

         execv failed: No such file or directory

   * attempting to run the actual underlying binary within the snap, i.e.
     /var/lib/snapd/snap/ldc2/current/bin/ldc2 (or any of the other binaries
     there) results in a similar error message:

         -bash: ./ldc2: No such file or directory

Running `file ldc2` on the binary reveals what I would assume is correct
information:

     ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically
     linked, interpreter /snap/core/current/lib/x86_64-linux/gnu/ld-2.23.so,
     for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=[I'm not typing this out], not
     stripped, with debug_info

... and uname -m gives x86_64, so I don't think it can be an issue like trying
to run a 32-bit package on a 64-bit system (or vice versa).

For comparison I tried installing both hello-world and Michael Hudson-Doyle's go
snap.  hello-world ran fine (but it is after all only a shell script
underneath).  The go snap ran into the same issues as my ldc2 snap.

I assume these are known issues, but can anyone advise on what are the
fundamental problems here and on whether it's expected to be addressed soon?

Thanks & best wishes,

     -- Joe