Store - Organizations/Namespaces/Transfer packages

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 16 18:22:22 UTC 2017

On 03/16/2017 01:41 PM, Tim Süberkrüb wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I have some questions about best practices for organizations (like our
> Liri Project) regarding the store.
>
> 1. Accounts:
>
> Is it possible to have a "pure" organization account in the store where
> several people have full or partial access? The only option I can see
> right now would be someone from the team having to create a new Ubuntu
> One account (with a yet unregistered email address) who would have full
> access and could only grant rights to others for every individual
> package. What is recommended for organizations here/are there plans for
> the future?

You are correct, this is the best way to handle this situation right
now. You can use the + trick (realaddress+alias at domain.com) in your
email address if you don't have a convenient one to use. Once you set it
up and assign collaborators, you can proceed with your regular account.

> 2. Namespaces:
>
> If we'd choose the namespace "liri" and would register a new name in the
> store "liri-app", what would happen if someone else would try to
> register that name? Do we own "liri-app" because we were first or would
> users - in case of multiple "liri-app.<namespace>" packages have to
> install it using "liri-app.liri"?

Package names are guaranteed to be unique in the snap store, so if you
register liri-app then you're the only one who can publish a package by
that name.

> 3. Transferring Packages
>
> Is it possible to transfer packages from user1 to user2 (or from my
> personal account to a possible future Liri Account) or would I have to
> delete the package and create a new one?

There is a mechanism to dispute the ownership of a package name. You can
use this to transfer a registered name from one publisher account to
another.

> Thanks in advance :)
>
> All the best,
>
> Tim Süberkrüb