GEM/Ruby snapcraft plugin?

Justin McPherson justin.mcpherson at canonical.com
Fri Mar 10 07:46:39 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Leo Arias <leo.arias at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hey Justin!
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Justin McPherson
> <justin.mcpherson at canonical.com> wrote:
> > I had a chance to take a quick look at this; see here
> > <https://github.com/justincan/snap-gist>
> >
> > The plugin works in this case, with gist. But is not good enough to be a
> > general solution - no native extensions, probably need to clean up the
> > paths, etc.
> >
> > Happy to hear comments.
>
> Thanks, sounds like a good start. Why don't you send it upstream to
> snapcraft? We were discussing about flagging some plugins as
> experimental until we had a decent user base and a good number of real
> live projects building successfully. Even if this plugin only builds a
> few ruby projects, it serves us to get more people and projects
> interested and improving it.

I have uploaded the changes to a fork <
https://github.com/justincan/snapcraft>.
The gist snapcraft.yaml is here <
https://gist.github.com/justincan/81ba9d61d37e84033d4e270b4cef5ddd>.
 - Seems to work fine
A rails snapcraft.yaml is here <
https://gist.github.com/justincan/f217ae081b7da090de5dc03f19f995f5>
 - This is for the rails framework, not a rails app.
 - Need to alias bundle after install
 - Bundler affected by chown issue.
 - Need to add (+use) gcc, etc - because the included bundler will want to
install gems that have native extensions

In general, native extensions now seem to work.

- Justin