First Snap ktouch - no success

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 3 16:05:37 UTC 2017

On 03/03/17 16:56, Harald Nikolisin wrote:
> However - my naive expectation on snaps is that I install only(!) the
> application without bothering which other SW is needed to run it. Am I
> wrong with that?

Snaps allow for completely self-contained apps, yes. But they also allow
the publisher of the app to CHOOSE if they want to consume some
libraries from the core snap (common) or from another snap (less common).

The benefits in snap size are very substantial when you have a large and
very well maintained piece of infrastructure like KDE, but it does mean
you have to trust that upstream to do the maintenance very well.

The use of such a dependency is a choice we leave to the respective
communities. Since this capability is new we have not added the code to
bring in such frameworks automatically, but once we understand the
patterns of behaviour for both users and publishers then I think we will
do so.

One last thing - there is a mechanism for publishers to *validate* a
framework, which means that you will know the app has been tested with
that version of the framework.

Mark