Reading /etc

Marco Ceppi marco.ceppi at canonical.com
Thu Mar 2 02:29:27 UTC 2017

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to add some color to the
problem. The issue lies within a dependency of the latest version of pip.
Previously they vendored in a small library to do rudimentary distribution
checking. In later versions, they've included the nir0s/distro python
package, which does more aggressive checks against things like /etc and is
hard coded.

I submitted a patch to the distro repo
https://github.com/nir0s/distro/issues/149  and it's landed, but it needs
to be pulled into pip and release. Once that's done, UNIXCONFDIR
environment variable could be used to override where to find `/etc`. For my
snap, I ended up moving to classic confinement as it fit better with the
tool (a system utility).

Marco