New snapd 2.22 release

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at canonical.com
Mon Jan 30 13:48:25 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

after slightly more than two weeks we have a new release of snapd!

We are happy to announce the new snapd 2.22.

One of the most important aspects of this release is that we
transition users who have the "ubuntu-core" snap installed over to the
new "core" snap. It should be totally transparent and you will only
notice if you look into `snap changes`. But if you notice any issues,
please do let us know!

Some highlights:
- automatically transition ubuntu-core snaps to core
- support for X-Ayatana-Desktop-Shortcuts in desktop files
- improve retry handling on network errors further
- support for disabling sshd from the core config
- support new "reload-command" in snap.yaml
- fix snap try with classic confinement
- many more bugfixes
- interface improvements:
  - opengl, default, network-control, network-manager
- new interfaces:
  - unity8-download-manager, evolution, account-control,
    core-support

This release is uploaded to the Ubuntu 14.04/16.04/16.10 "proposed"
pocket.  It is also available in 17.04 and in the "candidate" channel
for the "core" and "ubuntu-core" snaps. Other distros will follow
shortly. The stable channel continues to have the 2.21 version. If you
would like to test out this new snapd version on your Ubuntu Core
device you can use the command:

$ snap refresh --candidate core

On the classic distribution you can help testing by enabling -proposed
and then installing snapd [1].

Enjoy the new release! And as always, plese get in touch if you notice
any issues or if you have suggestions for improvements.

Cheers,
 Michael

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed