Ubuntu Core LXD images available for testing

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 27 02:17:25 UTC 2017

Hello,

Today I'm pleased to announce that we have our first Ubuntu Core LXD
images available for testing.

Those images will be re-generated weekly from whatever is the latest set
of Ubuntu Core disk images. As those disk images aren't refreshed very
often, it means that the LXD images will typically need a good snap
refresh after their first boot.

I expect this limitation to go away when those LXD images get picked up
by the Ubuntu Cloud team and they make their way to the official Ubuntu
image server as they will then benefit from the same image build pipeline
used for the Ubuntu Cloud images.

In the mean time, our test images are available on
https://images.linuxcontainers.org and can be used by any LXD user
running an up to date version of Ubuntu and LXD with:

    lxc launch images:ubuntu-core/16

Should you run into any problem with those images, please file a bug here:
    https://github.com/lxc/lxc-ci/issues

Some extra notes:
 - LXD passes your cloud-init configuration to the container. However the
   current Ubuntu Core images have cloud-init disabled. So if you intend to
   use that LXD facility, you'll need to manually re-enable cloud-init in
   your container.

 - This LXD image has a mock bootloader which pretends to be grub. This
   allows for the expected upgrade experience to work. Updates to the core
   snap will be attempted on the following boot and reverted on failure.

 - Using snaps inside LXD containers only works for unprivileged
   containers. Setting security.privileged to true on your container will
   break it. This is due to the way Apparmor namespacing works.

 - Normal LXD security policies apply. So if you intend to install the
   LXD snap inside your Ubuntu Core container, you'll need to set
   security.nesting to true.

 - As mentioned, those images are meant for testing use. Supported
   production images will soon be available on the official Ubuntu image
   server and will be based on those generated for the cloud.

Enjoy!

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer