Creating a snap using make or autotools

Sergio Schvezov sergio.schvezov at canonical.com
Thu Jan 26 10:35:20 UTC 2017

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 06:55:32 +0000, Luther Goh Lu Feng wrote:
> This probably isn't the right place to ask, but I thought I
> should ask in case it does matter in the context of snapping:
> when creating a snap of say, a hello world program in C[1],
> should I use the make or autotools plugin?

This is exactly the right place to ask

> Is one better than the other when it comes to snap creation?

They should both produce working results.

> A quick visual scan of snappy playpen seems to indicate that
> more project use autotools than make, though I am unsure if the
> numbers are reflective of actual preferences. Appreciate if
> anyone can share more.

Because it was trendy in linux-land for a while. cmake is also popular these days, traditional unix commands used to just use Makefiles.

> Full disclosure: I am unfamiliar with both make and autotools. Thanks.

I cannot open [1], but if that is just driven by make, then use make, if there is no build mechanism you can write your own or even just script the commands manually.

--
Sent using Dekko from my Ubuntu device