CUPS in a snap: avahi-daemon needed

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:00:03 UTC 2017

On 01/25/2017 04:52 PM, Kyle Fazzari wrote:
> Well there's a difference between using avahi and just broadcasting mDNS
> yourself, which is what I believe snapweb does, correct?

CUPS is not able to broadcast shared printers by itself. It registers
them at avahi-daemon and avahi-daemon broadcasts them. CUPS uses
libavahi-common and libavahi-client to communicate with avahi-daemon.

cups-browsed also uses avahi-daemon to find mDNS-broadcasted remote
printers. cups-browsed uses libavahi-common, libavahi-client, and
libavahi-glib to do this.

    Till