Snapping applications that uses keyring

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Tue Jan 3 19:11:36 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2016-12-21 at 10:11 -0800, Kyle Fazzari wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> Has anyone tried to snap an application that uses a keyring to store
> passwords? I took a crack at the Nextcloud desktop client yesterday, and
> as it stands right now I need to enter my Nextcloud password every time
> I start it up as it has nowhere to save it.
>
> I know relatively little about the gnome-keyring-daemon, but I assume it
> encrypts its keyring typically with the login password, and is unlocked
> by pam as a side effect of logging in. Do we have an interface covering
> access to the default keyring? Or do we need to embed
> gnome-keyring-daemon inside our snaps?

Based on this email and responses, it sounds like you are interested in classic
systems (ie, non-all snap systems, as opposed to 'confinement: classic') and
using the user session's keyring manager, in this case, gnome-keyring. In that
light, a 'gnome-keyring' interface needs to be implemented as an
implicitClassicSlot.

--
Jamie Strandboge             | http://www.canonical.com