Thinking of installing snap on Debian due to scarcity of snap packages for armhf

Leo Arias leo.arias at canonical.com
Tue Jan 3 17:49:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Luther Goh Lu Feng <elfgoh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> - Ubuntu core + snaps via classic mode

If you install a deb in classic mode, it will not be able to affect
the kernel, gadget or core snaps. It's isolated. The deb can break
your classic chroot, but nothing else. You can just throw it away, and
create it clean again.
However, there are still things that will work on a classic ubuntu
installation, but will not work in classic mode yet. Most of them are
just bugs that need to be reported and somebody will fix them.

I use classic mode to do prototyping and development while I get my
software ready to work as a snap. And I find myself using it less
every day, as new snaps are released to the store.

> - Debian + snaps via snap

This will give you a complete traditional system. Everything you
learned in debian and ubuntu before will just work. So it could be a
softer transition while you learn about snaps and your dependencies
are shipped as snaps. You will not get all the benefits of a full
snappy system, but you will get some by installing the snaps that are
ready.

As always, it's a trade-off. If you can give a try to both approaches,
I would be really interested to hear your opinion.

pura vida
--
¡paz y baile!
http://www.ubuntu.com