Thinking of installing snap on Debian due to scarcity of snap packages for armhf

Leo Arias leo.arias at canonical.com
Tue Jan 3 16:08:08 UTC 2017

Hello!

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 2:24 AM, Luther Goh Lu Feng <elfgoh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I did a filter of armhf packages for Ubuntu Core 16 snap packages, and found there to be less than 120. I did a search for nginx based on the mentioned filter and did not find any results. The impression left upon me is that there is a clear scarcity of snap packages right now, at least in the Ubuntu Store.

During the past month we were focusing on the automated delivery of
new versions from travis to the Ubuntu store. It has been an
interesting way to polish our story; but travis cannot build for
armhf. That's why you see less snaps in that architecture.
Now, with the start of the new year and some nice improvements in the
launchpad builders, we will be focusing on building the snaps for all
the supported architectures. Expect the numbers for armhf to increase
soon :)

> This has lead me to wonder if a deploying snap on top of a classic install, say Debian, is a much better idea, at least in the short term, before the snap ecosystem is sufficiently matured and mainstream. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

That sounds like a good solution. If debian works for you, we are
working to release there every new version of snapd and to make sure
that all the snaps work without a problem. If you install a classic
debian or ubuntu armhf, you can mix snaps and debs according to your
needs. Or you could also use an Ubuntu Core system, and enable the
classic mode to install debs.

pura vida.
--
¡paz y baile!