Thinking of installing snap on Debian due to scarcity of snap packages for armhf

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Tue Jan 3 12:25:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 11:14:37 +0200, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> >Also, something to be aware of, is that snaps are built by the upstream
> >or vendor, not by the distribution.
>
> First of all, happy new year!
>
> Now to something unpleasant.

Welcome to the new year, and this looks like a fine conversation. Thanks
for raising your concerns here.

> Using snaps and allowed to ask for support by an official channel of a
> distribution is bound to a distribution.
>
> For example, http://snapcraft.io/ mentions Arch Linux. It's available
> by Arch repository, but frowned upon by Arch developers, as well as the
> majority of Arch users, if not by all Arch users.
>
> If an Arch user would use snaps, there would be no mailing list
> available to request help.

This mailing list is a fine place to ask for help about snaps on Arch or
anywhere else. The topic here is snaps, snapcraft, and snapd, not a
particular Linux distribution.

I suspect not many distributions will help with snaps. There were at
> least two discussions on the Arch general mailing list. At least Arch
> Linux doesn't support it and it's very important, that in addition
> snaps are frowned upon, for a long list of very good reasons.
>
> Btw. it would be nice to remove Arch Linux from this list at
> http://snapcraft.io/ . (...)

While somebody is willing to help make snapd work on Arch, the listing
seems appropriate. We're not asking or expecting you to contribute in
particular, unless you're naturally inclined to do so (which would be most
welcome, obviously).

Thanks again for coming here.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net