New 2.20 snapd release

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 3 12:18:58 UTC 2017

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 at 12:15 James Page <james.page at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 at 11:58 Gustavo Niemeyer <
> gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> Will systemd handle multiple services with the same name without
> complaining? How would it disambiguate?
>
> We can pull off snap aliases because the binary paths are separate (not
> /usr/bin), and thus won't actually conflict even if system packages and
> snaps define the same name.
>

> I could see how this might be a problem; an Alias can either be defined in
> the systemd unit file (in which case systemd will create an appropriate
> symlink), or by creating the symlink from alias->actual in
> /etc/systemd/system - I'll poke at things and see how that might break!

It would appear that any symlink created in /etc/systemd/system masks
anything provided by a deb package in /lib/systemd/system - so the
glance-api alias from a snap would override the glance-api systemd unit
file provided by a deb package installed on the same system

I guess this also fits into the general question of how to transition an
existing system from deb->snap in a elegant way as well :-)