Snaps in production?

James Jesudason james.jesudason at canonical.com
Mon Feb 27 13:33:06 UTC 2017

On 27 February 2017 at 10:30, Sam Nicholson <Sam.Nicholson at bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been tasked with coming up with the best way to deploy one of our research projects, developed on Ubuntu and packaged for Debian, onto our CentOS-based production infrastructure. Looking at Snaps, it seems like it could be the answer to avoid having to re-package everything as RPMs (there's about 150 assorted packages) and put us in a good position for the future, but I'm wondering if anyone else is using it server-side in production?

We've been using server-side snaps in production and plan to use this
as our main deployment method going forward. The snaps are deployed
using Juju and the snaps are installed and upgraded directly from the
snap store. It's made the deployment infrastructure feel a lot simpler
and upgrades are handled in the Juju charm using a 'snap refresh'.

If you are looking for an example, take a look at the serial-vault [1]
(a Go web-service). The deployment document [2] gives an idea of how
we use it. The snap, charm and bundle are available on the snap store
and charm store.

[1] https://github.com/ubuntu-core/identity-vault
[2] https://github.com/ubuntu-core/identity-vault/blob/master/docs/Deployment.md